Car sharing is a system whereby people making the same journey share a single vehicle.
Why car share?
Car sharing can benefit both employers and employees.
- Frees up parking spaces on-site
- Eases congestion around your site
- Demonstrates you are a socially responsible employer
- Can help reduce parking costs (where applicable)
- Saves money
- Reduces wear and tear to vehicles
- Reduces congestion
- Helps the environment
- Provides a real solution to the transport problems of rural areas
- Flexible – can be used for regular commute or one-off trip
How to car share
It is not necessary to commit to car sharing every day – small efforts still have a big impact. Car sharing can be done in several ways – some of the most popular systems are:
- Employees can organise informal car sharing themselves.
- Employers can implement a formal scheme, either directly or through a specialist contractor.
- Some employers provide a minibus or minivan to pick up a group of commuters. Larger organisations could arrange this if enough employees travel from a similar area, or along the same route.
- Some employers are trialling contracts with local taxi companies.
For more information visit Nottinghamshare. The site brings together potential lift-sharing partners from across Nottingham.
Also check out Liftshare to calculate how much sharing a car on your commute can save you.